I have to share a story about my daughter, Carly. She is 7 years old and I just ran a 5K with her in 32 minutes. I was so proud for her. She was smiling from ear to ear as she crossed the finish line.
I think there is a good leadership lesson to learn from her experience. Here is the cycle of success:
- Commitment: We signed her up for Girls in Stride running program that met once a week for 8 weeks, leading up the Mitten Run 5K.
- Practice: She ran every week, regardless of the weather and regardless of anything else going on (homework to do, tired, crabby, etc).
- Support: The Girls in Stride group was over 40 school age girls, led by a coach, that got together weekly and cheered each other on. They supported each other’s victories and gave each other a kick in the pants when they started to walk.
- Weekly Improvement: They tracked and measured their weekly performance. At first, Carly could only run two ½ mile laps and by the last week, she did six ½ mile laps!
- Measurement: Each week, we measured her performance and we talked about how to prepare for 3.2 miles.
- Reward: Crossing the finish line! It is a great feeling when you cross the finish line of a race with 1,000’s of people cheering you on!
As Key Hyundai solution providers, it’s important that we are always working on improving our skill set, setting goals, measuring improvement and celebrating our success.
Thanks for sharing in Carly’s success. I hope you take something from the story.
Dealer For the People (R)
PS: Thanks for continuing to live our mission. We are solution providers not product pushers. We believe everyone deserves to drive a nicer, newer car. And, we want to keep our customers cars fun and safe to drive for as long as they wish to drive them.